08172017Headline:

Salt Lake City, Utah

HomeUtahSalt Lake City

Email Amy Schauers Amy Schauers on LinkedIn Amy Schauers on Twitter Amy Schauers on Facebook
Amy Schauers
Amy Schauers
Contributor •

Radon and Lung Cancer

Comments Off

Some Utah based researchers are urging people who live along the Wasatch Front to have their homes tested for Radon. This is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that can cause 10% of lung cancer even in those who don’t smoke.

Researchers say that it doesn’t matter what the age of your home is. This is because many homes along the Wasatch Front are built on uranium-rich granite. Radon is a gas that comes from the natural breakdown of underground uranium. Bob Parenti, president of the Utah Safety Council, explained that Radon is a gas brought about by decay in the soil and that radioactive decay can actually permeate foundations in homes.

Homeowners can test their homes using a simple, at-home radon testing kit. Test kits run about $10 to $12. If your home tests higher than a level four, a secondary test must be done. After that, a high level of radon can only be remedied by installing a $1,200 ventilation system in the home’s foundation.

For more information on this subject, please refer to the section on Toxic and Hazardous Substances